Dr. Jeffrey Montez de Oca, Ph.D.
Dr. Jeffrey Montez de Oca, Ph.D.
(Director), Professor, UCCS Sociology
Jeffrey Montez de Oca (Director), Professor, UCCS Sociology, researches sport, media, and political economy with particular interest in U.S. football. His current research analyzes marketing strategies of the National Football Leagues. Dr. Montez de Oca is the Past-President of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, an Associate Editor of the series Critical Issues in Sport and Society with Rutgers University Press, and previously served on the editorial board of Sociology of Sport Journal. At UCCS, he is the Graduate Director for the Sociology Department.
- Brissonneau, Christophe and Jeffrey Montez de Oca. 2018 Doping in Elite Sports: Voices of French Sportspeople and Their Doctors, 1950s-2010. London: Routledge.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey. 2013. Discipline & Indulgence: College Football, Media, and the American Way of Life During the Cold War. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press. • Winner of the 2014 North American Society for the Sociology of Sport Outstanding Book Award.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey. 2021. “Marketing Politics and Resistance: Mobilizing Black Pain in NFL Publicity.” Sociology of Sport Journal. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1123/ssj.2021-0005
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey, Sherry Mason* and Sung Ahn*. 2020. “Consuming for the Greater Good: “Woke” Commercials in Sports Media.” Communication & Sport. https://doi.org/10.1177/2167479520949283.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey and Stephen Cho Suh. 2019. “Ethics of Patriotism in NFL Players’ Protests.” International Review for the Sociology of Sport. https://doi.org/10.1177/1012690218825210.
- Chaplin, Kenneth Sean and Jeffrey Montez de Oca. 2019. “Avoiding the Issue: University Students’ Reponses to NFL Players’ National Anthem Protest.” Sociology of Sport Journal. Vol. 36, No. 1: 12-21. https://doi.org/10.1123/ssj.2018-0108.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey, Brandon Meyer,* and Jeffrey Scholes. 2016. “Reaching the Kids: How the NFL Markets to Youth.” Popular Communication special issue on the National Football League and Neoliberal Culture, ed. Thomas Oates. Vol. 14, No. 1: 3-11. https://doi.org/10.1080/15405702.2015.1084623
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey. 2012. “White Domestic Goddess on a Postmodern Plantation: Charity and Commodity Racism in The Blind Side.” Sociology of Sport Journal. Vol. 29, No. 2 (June): 131-150. https://doi.org/10.1123/ssj.29.2.131.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey. 2005. “‘As Our Muscles Get Softer, Our Missile Race Becomes Harder’: Cultural Citizenship and the ‘Muscle Gap’.” Journal of Historical Sociology. Vol. 18, No. 3 (September): 145-171. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6443.2005.00253.x.
- Messner, Michael A., and Jeffrey Montez de Oca. 2005. “The Male Consumer as Loser: Beer and Liquor Ads in Mega Sports Media Events.” Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society. Vol. 30, No. 3 (Spring): 1879-1910. https://doi.org/10.1086/427523.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey and Christopher Dehart-Reed*. 2019. “The National Football League and Social Media Marketing.” Social Media and Sports Marketing. Macmillan's Business and Culture of Sports, series. Joseph Maguire, Mark Falcous, and Katie Liston, eds. New York: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey and Molly Cotner.* 2018. “Killing the Football Widow and Creating New Fans: NFL Marketing Beyond ‘Pink It & Shrink It’.” In Holly Thorpe, Kim Toffoletti and Jessica Francombe-Webb, eds. New Sporting Femininities: Embodied Politics in Postfeminist Times. London: Palgrave, 111-132.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey. 2017. “San Francisco 49ers: The Romance of Memory.” In Maureen M. Smith and Rita Liberti, eds. Sports in San Francisco. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 129-142.
- Montez de Oca, Jeffrey, Brandon Meyer,* and Jeffrey Scholes. 2016. “The Children Are Our Future: The NFL, Corporate Social Responsibility, and the Production of ‘Avid Fans’.” In Michael A. Messner and Michela Musto, eds. Child's Play: Sport in Kids' Worlds. Rutgers University Press, 102-122.